> Nationally-syndicated newspaper columnist, "The Gear Junkie." Writer for top daily newspapers and consumer magazines (New York Times, Popular Science magazine, Los Angeles Times, etc.). Prominent blogger.
> Professional experience includes a web site upstart (TheGearJunkie.com), a magazine upstart (Vertical Jones magazine) and fours years in a Senior Editor position at Presentations magazine, a 75,000-circ. business/technology magazine. Write nationally-syndicated newspaper column ("The Gear Junkie," weekly since 2002).
> Extensive writing work since 1997. Specialize in travel, fitness, sports, outdoors, business and technology. Write for publications including New York Times, Popular Science magazine, Muscle&Fitness magazine, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, and Travel+Leisure magazine.
> Photography for New York Times, Associated Press, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, Adventure Sports magazine.
Syndicated Columnist | "The Gear Junkie" (2002 present)
* Nationally-syndicated Gear Junkie column on outdoors/fitness runs weekly in several major daily newspapers.
* Syndicate newspapers include Seattle Post-Intelligencer, LA Weekly, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Albuquerque Journal, Greensboro News-Record, Spokane Spokesman, Redding Searchlight Record, Billings Gazette and Reno Gazette-Journal.
* Total weekly newspaper circulation: 2 million+
Editor & Publisher | TheGearJunkie.com LLC (2006 present)
* Created online publication on gear, adventure travel and the outdoors.
* Launched web site in 2006 with hundreds of pages of content, including video gear reviews, travel stories, slide shows, message boards, and a blog.
* Daily blog at http://thegearjunkie.com/dailydose
Senior Editor | Presentations magazine, Minneapolis, Minn. (2001 2005)
* Staff writer and editor for monthly, 75,000-circ. business magazine published by VNU Business Media.
* Responsible for 10 major feature stories each year, including four cover stories; contributed to magazine's news section and weekly e-newsletter; extensive editing of contributing writers' work.
* Wrote prominent monthly column on presentations industry. Established "Presentations Lab" for in-house product testing.
Editor | Vertical Jones magazine, Minneapolis, Minn. (1997 2001)
* Created and launched consumer sports magazine. Established editorial staff and base of contributing writers.
* Partnered with Chicago-based publishing company for advertising sales, printing and distribution.
* Wrote editor's intro column, feature stories, news, product reviews and travel features for each issue.
* Designed magazine layout (QuarkXPress). Developed VerticalJones.com (served as Webmaster).
University of Minnesota
B.A. Journalism (1999)
Honors include membership in Phi Beta Kappa and Kappa Tau Alpha national honor societies.